Sunday, December 04, 2005

Will I be out of Place?? In Chennai


Born and brought up in Chennai ,at the age of 17 my dad thought he had enough of me and sent me packing to Allahabad,Uttar Pradesh for engineering .When I made a unsuccessful attempt to come back home at 21 with a job in IT industry my mom played her deadly emotional card and shipped me to Los Angels.

Last time I was in Chennai was in Summer 05 ,the maximum I spent in a day in Chennai was Rs 100 .Movies at Sathyam , Beasant Nagar beach , restaurants in Anna Nagar , Coffee day , Landmark , Connexions ( Anna Nagar) ,Dishnet HUB were my favorite spots.While I was busy studying in US my friends were Blowing their pay Slips in bars , discos , Star Hotel ,Mayajal and other happening places in chennai which I haven't even heard of .

When I am all set to visit Chennai in Jan 2006 , I am wondering if I would be a stranger in my own home town Will I need people to tell me what to do ? Where to go ?. When I meet my college , High School buddies will I be able to chill out with them ?? Or feel lost in translation ?


Has any one had such experience when you were back home in India ??

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Intitially for a week or so we are caught between 2 worlds. We struggle to redefine home. But after that, we start getting the good old feelings of our days in chennai. Definitely things would have changed. We people are caught in a time capsule while chennai would have moved forward a bit. Still we still will love chennai...have fun in my favorite city in the world.

Jagan said...

if u come when am ther ..i will show u arnd all the real proper chennai :-)

Joseph said...

It is true as mithun says, our time froze when we left Chennai. But it has moved on. When I came back to Chennai after 5 yrs, that is what I found. I had a cultural shock in my own country! Well, then it is easier to mingle when you have friends. BTW, it also depends on how long you are going to be there, if it is only few days/weeks, then your mind will be more of passer-by. But if you have to settle there, it would be different story though. Just my 2 cents. Have fun.